Thursday, December 16, 2010

What Is This?

Are you sick and tired of what you look and feel like? Yeah, me, too.

While perusing my usual batch of food bloggers, I came across
this post on How To Cook Like Your Grandmother. Drew reviewed a non-food book that really caught my attention.



The 4-Hour Body looks intriguing. First, while it focuses on making body shape changes, including weight loss, it's not a diet book. It's written by a guy who is previously authored a time management book, or at least, what I understand is a time management book: The 4-Hour Workweek.



Essentially, Ferriss' new book is a collection of best practices regarding loosing weight, increasing muscle, building strength, stamina, restfulness and sexual mastery. It's a big book. And those are a bunch of possibly unrelated things. But the idea behind the book is to read and apply only the things that appeal to your personal goals.

In that way it's more like an encyclopedia. Ferriss himself warns that much of the writing is like the diary of a madman. A madman obsessed with exploring lots of ways to achieve the goals above, using himself as a guinea pig while drawing on lots of interesting, sometimes surprising, science. In the end he is able to show you how to achieve specific measurable goals using actionable formulas.

He debunks the "a calorie is a calorie is a calorie" idea that gives lie to the "calories in vs calories out" mantra that dominates virtually all popular, mainstream weight loss programs.

I've just finished working through the introductory chapters and about to start reading through the weight loss stuff, which is right up front.

This blog is going to be a way of tracking my progress and efforts. In the coming days, weeks and months, I'll be addressing my personal goals and motivations, which info I'm using and how it's working for me. I'll track the data using numbers and photos.

I'd love to hear from others who are on similar journeys. I plan on building a list of links to other folks talking about the 4-Hour Body, so please speak up!

No comments:

Post a Comment