Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Breakfast: 4HB Huevos Rancheros and a Recipe

Though we are in holiday mode right now, normally breakfast is a hurried affair. I have to make breakfast for my husband and the little at 7am so that they can be out of the house at 8am. I am not a morning person.

Over the last few months I've generally made oats, most often Scotch and steel cut oats (or Scoats) and then like a sundae bar, there are a number of things to add: cinnamon, shredded coconut, raisins, chocolate chips, various seeds and nuts, etc. Everyone had their own preferences and it was easy to throw a cup of soaked oats into a pot with some milk and let it go while I made lunches and got people dressed.

Now I can't eat grains. And a full fry up is out of the question for a weekday so scrambled eggs and omelettes it is. The easiest of all is Huevos Rancheros style eggs. So yummy!  Whether I can eat that for half of all my breakfast for the next month, six months, year, lifetime... Well, that'll remain to be seen.



I scramble whole double-yoke eggs - two each per adult and one each per child - with a slurp of milk and a good dollop of butter. Over the top I add a tablespoon or two of black beans (though it could be pinto or whatever is on hand) a couple tablespoons of mild salsa and a couple tablespoons of guacamole.

If I had refried beans on hand, I could use them. I could even add some meat like a small handfull of chorizo, pulled pork or shredded chicken.

The key to it all is pre-portioning things like the guacamole, beans and any leftover meats. I use little containers meant for handmade baby food, freeze them and pop them in the microwave while I scramble the eggs up. It couldn't be easier!

Easy Guacamole

2 large, ripe avocadoes
2 cloves of garlic minced
1 tsp sea salt
1 TBSP lemon juice (or the juice of half a lemon, fresh)

Mash all the ingredients together (after peeling and pitting the appropriate parts). Done.

No comments:

Post a Comment